Thursday, April 13, 2023

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter...

 
     ...unfortunately, I'm the one it's hunting. Anyone who's been following my thrilling exploits since at least last July will know that I had a massive heart attack that month. Well, filmdom tells us that every thrilling story must have a sequel and that's what happened to me yesterday.
     It seems that lately every time I do all three of my errands the second Wednesday of each month, something catastrophic happens. Last March 8th, I came home to find Mrs. JP gasping for breath. It wasn't until after I admitted her that I discovered she had COVID-19. 
     Next thing I knew, the hospital engaged in some mission creep and tried to take custody and care of Barbara out of my hands and to place them in the hands of others who haven't seen her in years or even decades. No doubt, those who's been outrageously placed in the sphere of ignorant judgment will attempt to lob insults my way and perhaps even add this piece of news to the shyster who'd been hired to represent that so-called hospital. If it comes up in court when we have the guardianship hearing on the 27th, I'll know exactly who spilled the beans.
     Yesterday proved to be more potentially catastrophic. The heart attack I had yesterday was also toward the end of my Wednesday errands. The chest pains began in the laundromat and, as with last July, I tried to fool myself into thinking they were gas pains. Again, no dice. Still in this potentially fatal denial, I proceeded to carry up my laundry, two heavy bags of groceries plus two gallon jugs of water and six large bottles of Fiji water.
     So I sat down and relaxed and waited for the pain to subside as it had twice before. Then the pain came back with a vengeance. Still in denial that what was happening could kill me, I then finished a chapter of my newest novel that had languished and I then sent it to my copyeditor. Nobody can say I'm not a gamer. Then, when the cold sweats came, that's when I called 911.
     Bottom line, nearly the same damned thing happened to me that happened to me last year. The first hospital to which they'd sent me told me both cath labs were full and they had to send me back to the same one down the highway that had wound up treating me last summer. And, as with the last time, I checked myself out today after less than 24 hours.
     They inserted another stent in the same radial artery for the same reason- An occlusion made up of cholesterol. They did some blood work and realized my cholesterol level was at 270, about 70 points higher than it should be. But this heart attack had a kicker- My triglycerides were off the fucking charts, at a whopping 710. Not only that, but my heart attack yesterday was accompanied by some funky beat to which no sane person would want to dance.
     The cardiologist with whom I'd spoken today was blunt- "Your heart attack nearly killed you."
     The way he'd explained it, when I exhausted my meager 30 day supply of Lipitor that the last cardiologist had given me, it allowed blood clots to form and degrade the original metal stent that had been inserted through my radial artery last year. Essentially, they had to replace it with another then inserted a third one in the same artery.
     I'm supposed to be on Lipitor, or Atorvastatin, as the generic name is called, for the rest of my life. This would have required my getting a fulltime cardiologist for a regular supply, But when I asked the drug store to ask the doctor to give me another refill, she refused. This time around, however, my cardiologist gave me a 90 day supply of five different meds. So I'm back home, thanks, again, to my sons and religiously taking my medication.
     Now, I have a friend who's a former MA state trooper and when he found out from my Facebook feed that I had another heart attack, he immediately sent me a text accusing the hospital that's currently holding my fiancee of causing my heart attack. That almost verges into conspiracy theory territory. However, it's taken as an article of faith in medical science that stress can elevate one's cholesterol level. So maybe my friend is onto something.
     But this isn't about me but about a very interesting phone call I'd fielded today from a very unlikely source as I awaited my discharge paperwork. Specifically, it was from Barbara's lawyer who will represent her at the guardianship hearing. It ought to be understood right now she's representing her and not me. I may still wind up having to go in pro se or without a lawyer.
     And what Barbara's attorney cannot understand any more than I can is why UMass Memorial Hospital in Marlborough, MA is even considering putting her future in the hands of people who haven't seen her in years or decades. She wants to know what the hospital's agenda is. So do I.
     When I had my first heart attack last July, I checked myself out after less than a day, too. But I had Barb put into a hospital. I told the EMTs who were working on me to keep me from dying that she needed to go to UMass Memorial to be cared for. So, yes, I took a huge risk in checking myself out that day because even then, I didn't trust those bastards. And it looks as if my distrust was well-placed.
     I can't hide behind such high-minded ideals this time but I will do whatever I need to do to keep living. Barb and I still have plans, still have a life to live. And nobody can say their "sister is everything" with a straight face when they're actively trying to put her in a nursing home so she can end up as some invisible, neglected old woman.

6 Comments:

At April 14, 2023 at 8:10 PM, Blogger Stan B. said...

I hope this works out, but you're not going to do you or your loved one any favor by trying to macho your way through the third strike- not to mention the irony that it may not kill you, just leave you too incapacitated to care for her...

 
At April 14, 2023 at 8:40 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Well, I may have mentioned in my article that as long as I'm on Lipitor, I'll be good to go.

 
At April 16, 2023 at 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggestion based on my recent experiences, you are useless if your down.

FYI stay away from FUH the next town east. If your sick and in their
building may the gods help you for anything more than trivial. Or they bury you.


EA

 
At April 16, 2023 at 10:23 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Are you referring to Framingham Union Hospital? That was one of the alternative hospitals I was considering in case I get Mrs. JP back and God forbid she needs another hospital stay. The problem is, and I think you'll be able to follow me since you seem to be a local, that once you call for an ambulance, they take you where THEY think you should go. For instance, UMass Memorial in Marlborough is not the place to go if you have a heart attack for the simple reason they don't have a cath lab. UMass at Worcester has two and St. Vincent's down the highway has two. Likewise, if you go into labor, Marlborough is also not the place to go because they haven't had a maternity ward in decades. Worcester has some fine hospitals and I have to admit St. V's (where both my sons were born in the 90s) not only saved my life twice but also took care of me and gave me good medical advice. But what you're saying about FUH is news to me. Then again, I haven't been there since 1989 and that was to visit someone.

 
At April 17, 2023 at 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jurassic,

Yes FUH... While the Heart center is next door they are not part of the hospital.
Good talent in the heart center is you have a doc there. My partner/wife/co-conspirator went in for CHF, difficulty breathing, died there of a list of
things hospital acquired including sepsis. She walked into emergency.
The are ok for simple stuff, but their rep on complex is poor. They are understaffed as well.

On an earlier visit there, gallbladder, she would leave with a stroke, pacer installed, and the gallbladder which was removed in Boston. My former doctor
also went in for gallbladder and had a bad experience there. That doc was not
100% after that and retired.

Local, yes.

The ambulance thing, understood. Once stable a move may be possible. But
you need a doc and loud voice to make it happen.

You can punt this to trash after reading.


EA

 
At April 17, 2023 at 2:13 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

EA- I'm terribly sorry to hear that about your wife.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger