Monday, July 27, 2020

Interview With Eileen Thornton


     August’s Author of the Month skips across the pond for a spot of tea and perhaps a scone or two to chat with British mystery novelist, Eileen Thornton.

15) Eileen, you’ve established a reputation for yourself in the cozy mystery community in a relative short space of time with your Agnes Lockwood mysteries as well as your standalones. What led to your decision to become an author?

     When I retired, I felt the need to do something which would keep my mind active. But first, I needed to finish the Open University course, which I had started while still working. Thankfully, at the end of the course, I achieved a BSc (Hons). Then, looking for something else to do, I decided to try my hand at writing after seeing an advert for The Writers Bureau.
     Writing had never been my forte. When writing essays at school, I usually put everything I wanted to say into a couple of paragraphs. However, while at the Open University, I quickly learned that the tutors expected much more detail when writing my assignments.
     Once I started the course with The Writers Bureau, I began writing articles for national magazines, shortly followed by short stories. It was then that I decided to move on to writing novels.

14) You’d mentioned in passing on your blog that your old writing teacher wouldn’t have predicted you’d ever be a writer and you hinted that, at least then, writing never came easily for you. What’s the most difficult aspect of our craft you?

     That would be panning out the story. Writing short stories helped me overcome this problem. As with all my writing, I tend to make up the story as I go along. When writing short stories, I used to think of what the last line could be and then I would make up the rest of the story around that. In most cases that last line, would be the title. There were times when I got so carried away that I had too many words and had to cut them down to fit in with the limit allowed by the magazine.

13) In a paragraph or two, describe Agnes Lockwood for us. What drives her to solve mysteries, what are her strengths and weaknesses?

     Agnes is a determined woman. I am sure that the readers will have picked that up from the start. One of her strong points is that she doesn’t mince her words; she says exactly what she thinks and doesn’t take fools gladly. But at the same time, she is kind and thoughtful to others and ready to help anyone in trouble.
     Agnes had always been a fan of Agatha Christie and loved reading about Miss Marple. Therefore, when jewellery started to go missing at the hotel Agnes was staying in on Tyneside, she couldn’t resist poking her nose in.

12) For the folks across the pond, give us a brief overview of Tyneside. How do you avoid the dreaded Cabot Cove Syndrome that Cathy Ace had once mentioned to me?

     The River Tyne runs between Newcastle and Gateshead in North East England. Therefore the area, stretching all the way down to the coast, is known as, Tyneside. The quayside, which Agnes adores, was once a beehive of industry. Giant cranes and other such equipment filled the docks. Today, that has all gone with restaurants and clubs having taken over. In a way, it is sad that all the traditional heavy industries have gone, but on the other hand the quayside is now much cleaner and a pleasant place to visit. Concerts etc. are held in The Sage, a comparatively new building, while the old Baltic Flour Mill has been given a new lease of life as the Baltic Art Gallery.
     As for the Cabot Cove Syndrome, I must admit that I haven’t given it too much thought. Maybe when have written a few more Agnes Lockwood novels, I’ll need to have a rethink.

11) While you were growing up, who were your favorite authors and who are they now? Which ones were the biggest influences?

     As a child, I loved reading Enid Blyton’s books. Five go to Smugglers Top was the first one. I loved reading about what the Famous Five got up to. I also enjoyed her Malory Towers books. Today, I enjoy C J Sansom’s Shardlake novels. I have also read a number of books by Jeffrey Archer and Steven King. But I must admit I don’t have any favourite authors. I choose a book for the content, not necessarily because of who wrote it.

10) Plotter or pantser or plantser?

     Definitely a panster, I never plan anything in advance. As I said earlier, I simply sit down and start to write. Perhaps if I really gave it some thought, I would be able to write my books faster. At least I would know where it was going from the moment I started to type. But I have never been able to do that.

9) What elements in mystery fiction do you see changing with the times and which do you think will remain eternal?

     I can’t really see many changes taking place. Surely a mystery novel must have Characters, a devious plot, a big problem to solve and, of course, there must be a solution at the end.

8) As previously stated the Agnes Lockwood series has attracted a healthy following and for good reason, as they’re quite well-written. Are there any plans for another series or will Tyneside suffice for now?

     I am planning to stick with Tyneside for the time being. It is an area I know well as it is where I was born and grew up. I am working on another in the series at the moment.

7) You’ve also written a mainstream thriller (The Trojan Project) as well as a romance (Only Twelve Days). Are there any other genres to which you’d like to try your hand or any you would never touch?

     I might decide to write another romance at some point. But I have no idea when that will be. I tend to take each day as it comes. I don’t plan too far ahead these days.

6) Describe your typical writing day (if there’s any such thing during the pandemic). Do you write exclusively in notebooks, on the laptop or both? What are your daily words goals, if any?

     Oh, how I would love to say I have a daily words goal. But that is not the case. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t plan my novels in advance. I simply sit down at the laptop and start writing. But then, the next day, I find something I wrote previously which I am unhappy about, so I have to re-write it. Only then can I continue from where I left off.

5) Speaking of the coronavirus, has having your activity restricted had any effect on your writing? If yes, how so?

     No, the coronavirus hasn’t really restricted my activities. My husband has several health issues. Therefore we don’t go far anyway. Though I admit, the fact we can’t go anywhere at all even if we wanted to can be frustrating.

4) What did you do for work before you decided to write full time?

     Before I retired, I worked for the National Health Service as a higher clerical officer.

3) What advice would you have for a novice novelist of any age?

     Truthfully, I am not the best person to pass on advice to a budding novelist. However, I would suggest that they didn’t copy me by not planning the story ahead. I think that’s about all could say.

2) What’s a fact about yourself that only few would know?

     I don’t think there’s anything about me that people don’t know. I tend to be quite open about myself.

1) What’s next on the horizon for Eileen Thornton?

     I have no idea what is ahead. I hope I can continue with my writing for some time yet. However, if it had anything to do with me, I would love to see Agnes Lockwood in a movie, or even a TV series. Ah well, I can but hope.

If you’re interested in learning more about Eileen, then please avail yourself of the handy links provided below.


https://www.linkedin.com/in/eileen-thornton

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2020 at 5:44 PM, Blogger Eileen Thornton said...

Thank you for inviting me to be your author of the month, Robert.

 
At July 27, 2020 at 5:55 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Glad to have you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger