Thursday, March 2, 2023

Everything I do these days...

     ...that used to be so important to me is done in fag ends of spare time. Everything I do that doesn't relate to basic health care, the spoon feedings, the dispensing of medicine that gets spat out, food that meets the same fate, constant changing of diapers, sheets and clothes, everything I thought was so important until Saturday is now relegated to the ever-growing back burner. Typing of old material, especially writing of new material, auditing chapters from narrators for three audiobook projects. Vaya con Dios.
      I've never been in this position before, raising a toddler in their mid 60s. Toddlers at least, have the ability to learn from their mistakes. That's not the case with me. Gross and fine motor skills get degraded, never to be remastered. Memories are held onto as if they're smoke.
      It's not the constant babbling and getting mauled that affects me so much as the ever-haunting sense of failure that will one day culminate in an even more massive, crushing failure, one from which there is no return. Like any good Irishman, I hate my enemies with a passion but even I wouldn't wish this on them.
      From my time working in nursing homes in the 80s and 90s, I discovered right off that nobody wants to be in them. Not the staff, not the Joint Commission and state inspectors not the families and certainly not the residents. Old people, especially old ladies, become invisible. Funny how that never truly became known to me until these days.
      I remember one resident whose name was Regis. She was directly descended from the Boston Fitzgeralds (Yes, THAT family). She used to brag that she went to Rose Kennedy's wedding, and had the photos to prove it. Day after day, she'd stand in the doorway of her room, nattily-dressed, her purse over her right arm, waiting for Fitzgeralds and Kennedys, glittering American political royalty who would never, ever come. Regis became, in my mind, the perfect synecdoche for almost every nursing home resident on the planet. I wrote a good poem about her. In fact, I think it was the last poem I ever wrote before I stopped entirely that month (the month I got signed by a literary agent).
      And, as proof that no one wants to be near anyone even caring for someone with dementia, when I put out my post on Facebook announcing I was taking a hiatus, I immediately lost five friends and more from my book group.
     Harry Truman once said being president was the loneliest job in the world. I would challenge him to care for someone with advanced dementia for just a week and to still stick by that assertion.
     But even more heartbreaking than that poem I wrote about Regis, one that's never seen the light of day, is a picture, one that I'd taken on August 16th. I remember the date because it was our friend's birthday, the same one who'd taken us to Concord last Friday. I wanted to take her out to a new Mexican restaurant that had supplanted the last one during the thick of the pandemic. After lunch, she and Mrs. JP stood in a neon-lit alcove that they put up so people could have their picture taken there.
     It's so heart-breaking for more than one reason,.One is the contrast between our friend's sunny smile after a good meal and the heartbreakingly sad look on my girlfriend's face. She's looking down, ever-abiding sadness in her blue eyes, as if she's wondering, "Where am I? Who's this next to me? What am I doing here? What's happening to me?"
     She already looks as if she's becoming invisible and she's barely aware of it, someone who used to be alert and astute now possessed of barely enough self-awareness to know she's being erased line by line by some cruel celestial artist until there's nothing left but a faint outline of the person she used to be. And, in time, even that will be gone.
     It's the tear-jerking look of a woman at odds with a universe that's supremely indifferent to how its subtractions from our lives are affecting us, the wanton maleficence of an unchecked, dead force. The very sight of that photo makes me burst into tears.
     Friday in Concord was the dividing line in our lives. By the next day, she was completely out of her mind and she'd stopped eating. By Sunday, she couldn't walk and, even with my help, collapsed in the parking lot. 
     So what can I do about this? Half walk-half carry my girlfriend to bed, then write about it after midnight. I'm a writer. It's what I do. It's how I cope. Hence the poem about Regis 26 years ago. It's how I cope, memorialize others while trying to establish some small but vital remove from it in some tiny yet all-important way.
     But there's no blessed separation from this. She's all I have, even in her tragically depleted state, and I'm all she has. Is it possible to love someone who's no longer there? I'm finding out the hard way and the answer's Yes.
     And can you miss and pine away for someone who's still physically there?
     Again, yes.

4 Comments:

At March 2, 2023 at 3:33 AM, Blogger Stan B. said...

Dementia in all its forms is the cruelest life experience (for all directly involved)-
Full Stop.

Please, hang in there- in the cruelest, toughest, most thankless trial life can throw anyone's way...

 
At March 2, 2023 at 12:29 PM, Blogger Lanz said...

I lost my mom to dementia. The last time I visited with her in the home, she recognized me one time out of three visits. The rest of the time she was talking to people who weren't there.
It's a horrible, dreadful fate.

 
At March 3, 2023 at 10:20 AM, Anonymous Bridgette said...

I sometimes feel that my mil thinks she's hallucinating when I'm there. She won't look directly at me and if I say something, she looks at me and then away quickly like she doesn't want to acknowledge me. Every day when I visit, I sit in my car and cry after.
This is the hardest thing we've been thru together. Keep hanging on and know we're here for you.

 
At March 3, 2023 at 2:56 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

That sounds all too familiar. Email me at Crawman2@yahoo.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger