Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life


Mike Flannigan: What are you laughing at, Billy?
Billy Frazee: This is kinda the same way that movie started out.
MF: What movie?
BF: It's a Wonderful Life.
Rob Svenson: Why, Billy, I'm touched! I didn't know you were into feel-good movies.
MF: He's not. He just watches it so he can root for Mr. Potter.
BF: Spoken like a true bleeding heart liberal asshole. No, I ain't usually into those kinds of movies, Kung Fu, but I do have a kid. We've watched it a few times together.
Jo Jo Vandermeer: Oh, I see what you mean, Billy! You're referring to God and the angels talking about George Bailey.
BF: Bingo, Jo Jo. Poor bastard's got his plate piled high right now.
MF: Well, the name of the place is Pottersville. I've posted here a few times, myself.
Dave Carmichael: Guy was even thinking about offing himself.
BF: Dave, is that you? I thought you were chasing fame and fortune or peddlin' your failed album out of the back of your truck.
RS: Billy, come on. We've moved past all that. The road trip with Jo Jo? Remember?
BF: Alright, alright.
MF: So, how are we going to help out this poor guy?
DC: Not by bitchslapping eachother like we were the 3 Stooges, that's for sure.
JJ: Pray for him, I say.
MF: Go ahead but poor JP's like me, babe. Religion really isn't efficacious in the secular world and he needs someone with a pulse to help him out.
DC: That effectively puts us at a disadvantage.
BF: How do you figger, boss man?
DC: We're fictional, remember?
BF: Right. Gotcha.
RS: On the other hand, maybe we're real and JP's fictional.
BF: Christ, there you go with the Zen shit, again.
RS: It's not Zen. Just a simple shift in perception, is all.
JJ: Hey, I got an idea! How about we get our instruments and play that Pearl Jam song "Alive" for him?
MF: Oh, I get it. "I'm still alive." Nice try, kiddo, but his computer got fried last summer, remember? He doesn't have a sound card and he wouldn't be able to hear us.
BF: Besides, "Alive" doesn't have a keyboard in it, Jo Jo.
RS: Well, we have to do something for him. In 24 hours, he's losing the two biggest parts of his life: His home and his family. If anyone knows what that feels like, it's me. I can't trust he won't do something stupid.
JJ: Like kill himself.
MF: Let's not go there again, OK, Jo Jo?
JJ: Oh, right. Sorry.
DC: Well, he can still read this. If we put our heads together, we should be able to come up with something that'll...
BF: What're ya, fucking blind, Dave? Look at him. He's busy packing and lookin' like he can't decide to shit or wind his watch.
DC: He can read this later.
MF: He won't have internet access where he's going, either. Or even a laundromat within walking distance.
BF: Boo hoo. Those're the least of his problems.
DC: For once, you and I agree, Billy.
BF: I mean, the fucking dump he'll be livin' in is a lot like the place I'm livin' in now. It's the kind of place where you're tempted to wipe your feet before you walk onto the street.
JJ: Billy, why do you have to be so gauche?
BF: What did I say? I'm just sayin', this is a helluva drop off for him.
MF: OK, why don't we all just think for a minute and each give him a piece of advice? Maybe he'll log on later tonight and read it.
BF: Hm. Thinkin' ain't exactly my long suit.
DC: Oh, you're just being modest, Einstein.
BF: Fuck you. Put your thinking cap on and shut up, Dave.
JJ: OK, I'll go first.

JP, I know what it feels like not to have family or any kind of a support network, to be exposed, scared, vulnerable. Like my husband Jeremy said, that's exactly what it feels like to be gay. Not that you're gay or anything...
BF: Jo Jo, you're fucking this up.
JJ: Shut up, Billy.

Anyway, JP, know that for every person in the world, there's at least one angel looking out for him or her. Everyone gets their turn in the sun. Everyone.
BF: And every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.
DC: Can you do better, Frazee?
BF: Hell yeah, Carmichael.

OK, Rob, listen up. You ain't gonna get anywhere in life keeping your head below your shoulders and crying, Poor me. I been there. I know. OK, you're getting kicked to the curb like toxic waste and I left my wife and kid voluntarily, but aside from that...
JJ: Ahem. And you said moi was screwing up?
BF: Shut up, Jo Jo. I still got the floor.

Look, you remember that conversation I had with Mike in Springfield, right, Rob? Take a lesson from that. Write your own fuckin' ending instead of letting some ghost writer asshole do it for you.
DC: "Ghost writer asshole." Very poetic, Billy. You ought to take that next time you go to the Bread Loaf Writer's Conference.
BF: Why would I go to a baker's conference?
DC: Oh, brother. Anyway...

Robert, we all feel like we have a stake in this. After all, we all came from you. We're all a facet of you to some degree. But, look, while it may've cost me some friends, when I signed with that record label 30 years ago, at least I was chasing my dream. I just thought my shoulders were broad enough to carry everyone eventually but they weren't. You're our hope for immortality. Publish your book and bring us back for the sequel. We'll be waiting.

Who's next? Mike, Rob?
RS: OK, listen up, dude. Sometimes the cow shows itself, sometimes it doesn't...
BF: Cow? What the fuck are you talking about, you Swedish meatball?
RS: He knows. The Zen exercise. Anyway, all you need sometimes in life, Robert, is a little revelation, some tiny bit of information that allows the truth to suddenly present itself. I'd take up Zen, if I were you. Get a Zen garden. Listen to your namesake.
BF: Zen, cows. Yeah, that'll get him far.
MF: Billy, can it.

OK, JP. I've enjoyed posting here when even my editor in chief Ari considered my stuff too hot to handle. I'd like to do so again. And I'd wager that many of your readers, believe it or not, care whether you live or die. I'd like to think that, however bleak life is for you, for all of us at times, there's someone out there who cares about you.

Sometimes silence isn't death or apathy or despair. Sometimes, silence is just opportunity taking a breath.
BF: Bravo! Robert fucking Frost, we got here!
DC: You guys want to head back to the barn and grab a beer? I'll buy.
BF: Fuck yeah! Let's go. We're done here.
JJ: Uh, do you have Pepsi, Dave?
DC: (Chuckling) Sure, little guy. Hop in the van.
BF: I got shotgun!

(For Minstrel Boy more than me, since he wanted to hear from the guys one last time.)

12 Comments:

At March 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

JJ: Uh, do you have Pepsi, Dave?
DC: (Chuckling) Sure, little guy. Hop in the van.
BF: I got shotgun!


Minstrel Boy: I got Baretta.

 
At March 25, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

It's too bad you're NOT gay. Because you'd have a helluva lot easier time finding a place to sling your gunny sack that way. Especially in Massachusetts...

 
At March 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Bukko, if you email me privately, I'll tell you about a recent phone call I had to field on the speaker phone in front of my grandson that I didn't find at all amusing.

 
At March 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck Rob, i will be checking in here regularly hoping for one of your literary gems. hope the book does well. if i find it i will buy a copy. if i remember anyone near you that can help you i will refer them to you. take care of yourself please. we are all rooting for you.
barbara

 
At March 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Thanks, barb. I guess my pal Mikey was right, after all. :-)

I'll be putting up a Paypal button soon as I can get an account going. Although I don't know how often I'll get internet access because Hudson's kind of ass-backwards. The local internet cafe is closed and the library's hours are getting shorter and shorter every year.

 
At March 25, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing about guardian angels is that some of us make ours work much harder than others do.

mikefromtexas

 
At March 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Robert,

When I suggested you take a "zen retreat" a few days ago, I did not know of your book and the title (as I said, I'd been away a while.) Perhaps it is what you're meant to do, literally or figuratively.

I didn't comment on your characters being aspects of yourself, as that is a fairly common thing. Kundera states it bluntly in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Good luck, and take care of yourself. Some time I would like to discuss the publishing process with you.

 
At March 26, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JP,
I don't know if this will help, but here's something I stumbled across:

WiFi hotspots

Ms Wilberforce

 
At March 26, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JP,
I've already given you all the advice I have.
I just want to add that this post is an example of why I keep coming back. You're a good writer.
Good Luck
Mike in Moo Hampshire.

 
At March 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Buddha smiled even as he told everyone that Life Is Suffering. He smiled because he knew that two sentences later, he could tell them that there was a way to stop suffering while still continuing to live.

Well, anyway JP, I'm rooting for you and I hope you have the chance to keep posting, even if it's on a somewhat irregular schedule. I know something about irregular schedules myself!

 
At March 26, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert as I said yesterday, but it didn't post, you can see we all care about you and don't want you to do anything that is irreversible. Death is too damn permanent. Like the character in the movie Network finally said "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore." Now is the time to get royally pissed and live just to spite the agents who won't get you to a reputable publisher and Ingrid.

 
At March 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Granted, the context isn't there since most of you haven't read the book (only Minstrel Boy has). But, trust me, several spoilers were put in there and the boys were all speaking very much in character, especially Billy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger