Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm in the Market for a Hard Drive...


...like the one pictured above. I'm in need of a 40-60 gig HD for my Dell Latitude D600 to replace the one that crashed.

I mailed my laptop to my computer repair guy three weeks ago yesterday. He decided to choose that same exact moment to have a nervous breakdown and disappear for a week, leaving his employees (and me, since they couldn't find my Dell) in a state of subdued panic. Finally, 16 days after I mailed it off, I got a call from him on Saturday guaranteeing me the computer was fixed and that it would cost $80.

"Did you load Microsoft Office 7 like the last time?" I asked him. I was assured he had.

48 hours later, I drove to his shop (22 miles one way) and found the doors locked in the middle of the day. The one guy on duty had no idea where my laptop was, no idea where his boss was and no idea when he'd be back. When I had to find my own computer, he looked into the HD and discovered none of the device drivers I needed for the software were installed, and, surprise, surprise, Microsoft Office still hadn't been installed. In the meantime, the doors had been locked in our faces yet again and I had to call this boob to tell him his shop was closed in the middle of the day.

All told, the downloads took a couple of hours, I had to pay money for unvalidated parking and buy a lunch for Mrs. JP and me while my "all set" computer was being finished. Oh, and my 60 gig hard drive was replaced by a 20 gig (when I bought the laptop two years ago, it came with a standard 40 gig HD).

This is where is gets good:

Literally two hours after we get home, I'm downloading the software I needed to get the laptop back to where I had it, the OS began crashing. After the 3rd operating system crash, I texted him asking, "WTF did you put in my Dell? The OS has crashed 3 times. What are you going to do about this?"

The next day, he texted me back promising to put in a HD "like the last time" and I specified that I wanted another 60 gig like the one he'd removed with all the drivers and software pre-installed so I didn't have to wait like the last time.

Last night, I got two nasty text messages telling me to get "my machines out of here" (he's doing work on our Compaq, God help us) and that I'm "rude" and "unreasonably demanding" for expecting a 60 gig HD like the one he'd replaced instead of the piece of shit 20 gig HD that didn't work. He offered a full refund of my $80 but that still leaves me without a computer of my own. Bottom line: I waited 2 1/2 weeks so I could use my own laptop for 2 1/2 hours. The current HD is a glorified coaster.

So, this is the other drama with which Mrs. JP and I have had to contend since Monday and we didn't expect this. So why did we use him since he's a dishonest, incompetent boob and is so far away? The last time I did this, the guy had my laptop ready 24 hours after I'd mailed it off and the job was done right. The first night we met him a year and a half ago, he'd had someone drive him in a blizzard to our house and he was rocking three laptops at once to get our computers online. He used to be Houdini but since he'd put out his shingle he's lost his edge and now he's literally popping Tums like beer nuts.

We have to drive down there again today to get the Compaq back but I don't fancy having to share a computer with Mrs. JP like we had to for the last three weeks. So if any of you guys have a spare Dell Latitude D600 HD with even just a browser and OS, email me for my street address and we can talk money. I can format it myself with my Dell boot disk.

5 Comments:

At June 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need any 2.5" SATA hard drive - there isn't any particular or specific one for your machine. Larger hard drives tend to be cheaper and faster as well, and will work with your machine. It's very easy to install on most laptops (early ibooks excluded).

E.g., Seagate ST9320423AS Momentus 7200.4 Mobile Hard Drive - 320GB, 2.5", 7200 RPM, 16MB, SATA $49.00.


If you want I'll do the work for you for free, including recovering what's on your old drive as well, but you'll have to ship it to me. Let me know.

 
At June 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad news.

After I researched your Dell it turns out that it's old enough to use EIDA drives, which means a 320GB drive for it costs $120 instead of $49 (ram for old computers is expensive as well).

WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVE - Hard drive - 320 GB - internal - 2.5" - ATA-100 - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB

 
At June 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

mudplanet: I couldn't give you my old HD because the asshole took it out. Who knows what he did with it?

The existing one really is toast. Windows will never load on it and I keep getting the classic black screen of death. Nothing much recoverable but a few basic programs and software because it almost immediately shit the bed once I got it home.

Barring a slight windfall, I don't want to pay $120 for a HD even if it's 320 gigs. As I'd said, I'd be happy with 40-60 gigs with a half a gig to a gig of RAM. But if you're serious about doing any future work, email me at Crawman2@yahoo.com. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

(Personal aside: When that fat fuck told me my HD was toast, he informed me the HD spins at 54,000 RPM, which sounded a little racy. You said the 320 gig HD's spin at 5400. That's just a taste of what I've had to deal with these past 3 weeks.

Another personal observation: This fat fuck in Worcester, MA who goes by the name Alex Shtudiner of 22 Front Street, after holding on to my Compaq all week, suddenly decided he didn't want to work on it and gave it back to us today untouched. Basically, he was punishing my fiancee for something that was between us.)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Maybe if he showed up for work once in a while, I would. Failing that, it's not worth driving all the way to Worcester just to tell him what his employees want to tell him but haven't got the balls to.

Your stepdad Alex is a lazy, burnt-out fat fuck who bit off more than even he could chew and he's disappointing his customers and frightening his employees left and right

 
At March 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Denver Computer Repair We could help you out just contact us. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger