Friday, August 21, 2020

Life is a Novel That Always Ends Poorly

     In my fiction, to get the maximum effect out of a dramatic spike, I usually preface it with the main character (MC) on an emotional high, the part just before the more aware of us begin to listen for the other shoe dropping. It's formulaic, I know, but it's a literary formula that works.
     In spite of all the problems facing me and all of us in this pandemic, I was feeling pretty good yesterday. I'd just launched a new novel a week or two ago, Steve Bannon and three or four of his cohorts got arrested yesterday and Trump was losing big on every legal front. I had fun writing the post and doing the requisite research. I hoisted a few shots of Bushmills in Bannon's dubious honor then, even though he's not my man, we crowned a new Democratic candidate whom virtually all the polls say will dislodge Trump (Then again, they said the same thing about Hillary four years ago).
     Then the figurative shit hit the proverbial wind tunnel fan.
     Facebook disappeared from both my laptops, giving me the white screen of death. It seems to be linked with them forcing people to use a simpler but much slower version and I'm guessing this is an interface problem between them and my Firefox browser that no one can tell me how to fix. That in itself would be a huge inconvenience as I harvest most if not all of my digest content from my Facebook wall. But that was just the beginning.
     I tried to reup my cell phone's minutes last night in bed and for the first time ever, my card got declined. A quick look at my bank account online told me I was literally a day late and a dollar short. So I rushed to Paypal and tried to instantly transfer $50 to my checking, leaving us with $38. When that didn't show up, I transferred $10 as a trial balloon.  Nothing. I've made use of it dozens of times since the service was made available but this was the first time the money never showed up. It still hasn't. I called Paypal and they insist it went through on their end. I told them, "On my end it hasn't and that's the end that counts." Luckily, earlier in the day I made a standard transfer of $100 that, thankfully, went through but Verizon gobbled up half of that when I renewed my plan today (they shut me off at midnight last night.).
     Then after my phone was reinstated, I checked my mail and discovered from a relative in Florida that my father died last night of COVID-19 . And here I am with no money and no way of getting to my mother in the deep south.
     I still don't know how to feel about this. But with my money and Facebook suddenly disappearing from my devices, this was the icing on the cake and I feel cut adrift. I'm 61 and without a father for the first time in my life. You'd think I'd be used to that. We hadn't been in direct contact since 1995 and had, let's charitably say, our differences over literally everything under the sun. When we came back from Italy in 1972, he turned into a racist right wing bigot.
     None of that makes a difference any more, I guess. My  Mom just turned 84 a few days ago and I hope her family, also in Georgia, is with her now. We were never close, either, but she's still my mother and someone needs to look out for her. The cousin that emailed me the news from Florida is virtually the only go between on my Dad's side of the family and me. I don't even know if they want me there but I have to make an effort to do so even if for no other reason than because he was my father. Otherwise if I don't make that effort, I know it'll be held against me, not the least of which by myself.
     So I need a lot of help this time, guys. We were already in a situation where there would've been too much month left at the end of the month and had zero chance of staying solvent before next month. My phone cell provider immediately shut me off at midnight because I didn't renew on time for the first time in over 12 years. The gas bill's paid but I have no way of paying off my ISP or the $110 the auto insurance people demand then there's transportation down south. I don't even know if I'll be allowed to stay at my Dad's house and may have to stay at a motel.
     Ergo, I'm going to be largely if not entirely going dark if you guys can help me out and get me to Georgia. My Dad just turned 80 this summer so he lived a good long life. But in a case like this, I have to wonder how much longer would he have had if COVID-19 didn't exist. That's a question that'll never be answered.

1 Comments:

At August 24, 2020 at 10:55 AM, Anonymous Comrade Rutherford said...

I would help if my entire industry and life-long-career hadn't been 100% shut down in mid-march, and since then I have nothing. I'm barely keeping bills paid right now, and actually falling further and further behind.
Normally, you know as I've done it in the past, I'd send you some bucks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger