Monday, March 23, 2020

Can an Entire Road Be Cursed?

     I've read stories or have heard accounts on Youtube of whole roads and streets that seem to be cursed. Many of therm involve ghosts. This is not one of those stories.
     Rather than merely driving through a full body apparition of some lady in white looking for her dead child or for whatever such spirits search according to local legend, this is about my inability to drive on Villa de Porto Blvd in Hudson, MA. Two years ago this June, I got T-boned there in an accident caused by a woman driving on a dark grey rainy night with her headlights off and I got blamed for it (My so-called insurance company found me at fault, now I'm paying over $1000 a year for the next six years for compulsory insurance).
     Today, I left the house at three PM to get a few things. I didn't get home until almost 5:30. My battery kept dying even after I got a jump start by a friendly guy and another from the AAA guy the cops called who wasn't so friendly. So in just two hours, I burned up half my roadside assists that AAA reluctantly gives you for your $85 annual membership.
     But the first guy who came said that my alternator was shot, which is strange considering I was driving the van around town all day yesterday looking for water and toilet paper and I had no problems. Today was a different story.
     So there I was on Villa de Porto Blvd, again, stranded in the middle of a blizzard (Yeah, there was that to contend with, too, and not knowing I'd get stranded and be in the middle of traffic for two hours, I didn't dress for the occasion). I'm on the phone with AAA three or four times trying to get someone to tow me home, even though I lived just 150 yards from where I'd broken down again.
     Now, I'm faced with the prospect of burning my next-to-last roadside assist to have the car towed to the nearest garage so I can replace the alternator. The last time I had a job like this done was on my old Ford Taurus (the one that got T-boned) a decade ago and that job cost me $375. I'm guessing, with the price of labor skyrocketing, that's got to be closer to $500 these days.
     Obviously, I don't have that kind of money lying around unless I spend the rent money that's due in a little over a week. I have a little over $100 in the bank, another hundred in the Paypal account and I'm going to need to get this thing fixed by the end of the month. Thank goodness I had the foresight to do some shopping yesterday while the van was still running and before the blizzard hit, But I don't want to wait until we start running out of essentials before I fix this.
     We need help now. And I can't wait until Congress stops dicking around with this stimulus bill that just failed earlier today for the second time in 24 hours. And even if we get a $1000 check and Trump signs the bill, remember what I'd said in a recent post: During the 2008 crisis, two months had passed between the time Bush signed that stimulus bill into law and when the checks hit the mail. And, again, this stimulus bill is still being gridlocked in the Senate. We're well-provisioned for now but we're going need to get our van running before long.
     I know many of you are quarantined or sheltered-in-place and some of you are taking hits financially. And if you cannot help, that's perfectly fine. No one owes me anything. But if you can spare anything, anything, it would make a world of difference. Because the most frightening place in the world to be right now is stranded at home with no means of driving anywhere during an exponentially expanding pandemic when basic necessities are nonexistent to begin with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger