Friday, March 17, 2023

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

 
     I should be telling a joke. I should be telling an oft-told one on this St. Patrick's Day. Maybe the one about the judge who shit his pants after a pub crawl or the guy on the back nine who doffed his hat as his wife's body was being driven to her funeral. I don't observe St. Patrick's Day and neither do the Irish and they can't understand why we do, either. But it's what I would've done if I hadn't gotten a phone call today.
     That was at about 3-3:30 this afternoon when I got a phone call from a social worker at the hospital where Barb's at now. She informed me UMass Memorial Hospital in Marlborough, Massachusetts is planning on taking control of Barbara's life and placing her in a nursing home. Not short-term rehab but long-term placement.
     From the first time I'd visited her after her admission on March 10, they'd made it quite plain they didn't consider me a legitimate health care proxy. Yes, me, the guy who's been caring for her since her arrival in 2009 even when she was hale and healthy. I suspected something was up when they tried several times to call me on my Android the day before. I kept telling them that phone had a bug and no longer takes incoming calls and to call Barb's cell phone, which is newer and perfectly functional. But I learned they were just trying to get her sister's number.
     But when I visited her that Friday, someone from "patient relations" curtly informed me they had no intention of recognizing me as her legitimate caregiver. I'm acknowledged as such by Baypath Elder Services in Worcester, MA, by the CDC program in which they'd enrolled me and by Tempus Unlimited, the company that does the payroll. When I called my contact person at Baypath, she couldn't believe what she was hearing.
     They're pushing me completely out of the loop and refusing to acknowledge that I'm better positioned to make a long-term health care decision than literally anyone on earth. They're going through her sister, who's over 830 miles away on North Carolina and hasn't laid eyes on her in  literally decades. But to the hospital, it all devolves on whether Barb and I are married. Sorry, but my position is that just because someone is genetically-related to someone, it doesn't make them a better judge to make an informed decision of this magnitude. And a marriage certificate wouldn't make me a better judge, either.
     I earned the right to do so, as I had with all her previous admissions to that hospital, when I had full access to her doctors, PAs and nurses, when I was able to go over the treatment plan with those doctors and was allowed to fill her scripts and give the medicine she needed in the right dosages. But when I visited her that first time a week ago, the friend who'd taken me let it slip that I was Barbara's "partner" and that was when everything changed. In retrospect, maybe she should've kept her trap shut. Maybe the only reason why they consulted me during her previous admissions was because they assumed I was married to her.
     Among the things I learned during that phone call that may well have announced the end of our lives as we know it was they've already gotten a docket number, meaning they have a court date for a competency hearing. The social worker who called me told me that as the common courtesy that the rest of the hospital refused to extend to me. Yes, you heard that right. They didn't even show me enough respect to give me the chance to fight for her.
     She'd made great progress since her admission, which is another reason why this body snatching scheme makes no sense. While visiting her the two times I was able to, I was able to get food and fluids in her, whereas the hospital staff couldn't. In other words, I succeeded where they failed. To be fair, they can't sit there for hours at a time trying to get one meal in her, whereas I could and had when she was home, They have other patients to care for and can't give her the personalized one on one attention I could and had given her.
     When she was admitted on the 8th, she was diagnosed with COVID-19, pneumonia, and a UTI. They've addressed all those issues and she ought to be taken off COVID protocols tomorrow. I planned on getting her home either tomorrow, with Monday at the outset. When I'd visited her, I noticed her mind was a lot clearer than it had when I had to call 911 and get her admitted.
     None of that matters to them. I did the right thing by getting her the medical care she deserved and am paying a heavy price for it. If I hadn't, she probably would have died. So I was put in a position where I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't. Obviously, that's not fair.
     My position is that once she's home, I can get her eating again now that the infections and the sore throat that kept her from eating are things of the past. The hospital never thought to give me the benefit of the doubt much less even attempt to do a rudimentary assessment as to whether or not I can adequately care for her at home if I got her back. They've completely pushed me out of the loop.
     Then, there's the big issue, her dementia. Again, I know the history of her mental landscape over these last few years better than anyone. On at least three occasions, I've seen her experience a noticeable cognitive decline, only to see her claw back ground and get back to an acceptable baseline. I saw her do it again this past week. Once the infections were cleared or well on their way to be being cleared, I noticed immediately she was more cogent. She recognized me immediately, was glad to see me and, again, she ate for me both times.
     So, once I get the docket number and the court date, I plan on being there and fighting to get my girlfriend back. I shouldn't be thrust into this position but I am. I am not going to shirk this duty any more than I shirked my duty in caring for her these past 14 years. No one in any nursing home would have all that history with her, no one would love her and, if she refuses to eat for them, the only way they'll know how to respond is to literally stick a feeding tube down her throat and force feed her. I've worked in nursing homes in the past. I've witnessed force feedings. They're ugly, hideous sights to see.
     And they'd do it not because they're in love with her as I am but just to avoid legal liability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger