Wednesday, March 8, 2023

She Said Her Name was Emergency...

 
     ...she said her telephone number was 911.
     In retrospect, it seems pretty fucking heartless, something approaching the karmic, that Barb and I would derive so much pleasure from that song. It's from "Baby Likes to Rock It" by the late Steve Ripley and the Tractors. Until about a week or so ago, I'd play it for Barb when she couldn't feed herself and I had to spoonfeed her.
     Sometimes it worked, lately it wouldn't. Then yesterday, she stopped eating entirely and I could get very little fluids in her. When I came home from running errands today, I found my girlfriend couldn't walk any more.
     She's been starving herself and refuses to swallow anything and the starvation finally caught up with her. So today, I had to make that heartbreaking call to 911 that I'd been putting off for the last week and a half.
     Once the hospital staff sees what they're dealing with and they run some tests, there's a very real possibility they won't discharge her into my care. They may insist on putting her into a nursing home. I don't know what their legal purview is.
     So, why didn't you take her the hospital sooner, you may ask? Originally, I was going to. I was going to have a friend take her, the same one who'd driven us to Concord just two Fridays ago, the last time Barb and I ate together at a restaurant, maybe ever.
     But the day we were to take her, two Mondays ago, she rallied. She got out of bed by herself and even got to the bathroom in time, something she hadn't managed to do for weeks. I thought, as with one scary spell last year, she'd regain some of the ground she'd lost after that weekend. Hindsight being 20/20, I guess I shouldn't have been so hopeful. Hope is a luxury often denied you when you're caring for someone with dementia.
     When she began presenting symptoms of other ailments, I thought if I got her to a doctor's office, they'd find out what was wrong, prescribe something and she'd be better. But that never happened.
     It seems like a million years ago yet like yesterday when I wrote that post announcing Barb and I had fallen in love online and that she was moving in with me, that we'd get married.
     Well, the marriage didn't come off because our finances were so unstable and have been so ever since I lost my job a month after I moved into our apartment then Barb lost the job I got her at a local sign shop. But the bottom line was, we'd defied the odds. She got a fairly decent guy on the rebound, and we've been happy beyond words with each other since she arrived on July 31, 2009. The picture you see above was one I'd posted August of 2010 the day her new eyeglasses arrived from a now-defunct start-up company.
     Life doesn't hand out crystal balls and maybe there's a good reason for that but sometimes they'd sure come in handy. I'm not so big a man that I can say with all honesty that if I saw her dementia down the road, I would've made the same decision. But the fact is, I did invite her up here with the promise that I'd take care of her every need within my limited means and, for the most part, I've done just that.
     I did get her that sign shop job I promised her, exactly a month after her arrival, and I gave her a clean, safe home to live in. The day she arrived, I'd even bought clean bedding, brand new towels and wash clothes and bath mats, never used, because I wanted to give her as soft a landing as possible after driving 1533 miles to be with me.
     But promising to care for someone's every need always comes with a back half, the unspoken half, one that you'd think would never have to be made- That the recipient agrees to allow the other person to care for them. 
     Before today, she'd stopped allowing me to feed her, to hydrate her. It was as if she was giving up. That she not only didn't know why she was giving up but that she was unaware she was giving up. If someone gives up so completely, you have nothing to work with and you have to turn things over to medical professionals who may know what to do.
     I'm just a hapless bastard in his 60s with some adult diapers and a few bed pads. I don't live in a nursing home. I tried to do the best for her, I swear to God I did. But I turned 64 last January and had a massive heart attack last July. At some point, when you're in the position I am, you have to throw up your hands and turn over care to those much better equipped with deal with it.
     They say you never know how much you love someone or something until you lose it. I've been losing Barbara bit by bit for years now. Consequently, I find myself loving her a little more each day as I lose her by degrees.

4 Comments:

At March 10, 2023 at 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your frustration, pain and helplessness with dignity and clarity. My own brother is in a deep slide into Dementia. He is relatively healthy for now and has a loving wife that does her best. No answers, all lousy choices. Slow motion train wreck and you are in the caboose watching it ahead unable to fix things. If you haven't seen a 2014 movie called Still Alice (Julianne Moore) check it out, you may find a little solace.

I have enjoyed your posts over the years (including that Flanagan guy :-)
May you have peace with the knowledge that your efforts are not i vain.

A few people are listening.

 
At March 12, 2023 at 12:46 PM, Anonymous Bridgette said...

You've done everything you can. Please stop beating yourself up. I'm younger than you and I couldn't continue caring for my mother in law. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions. Although, she does seem to be doing better in the home she's in, I still cry every time I leave. Keep writing, it may help. And know that we are here and we hear you..

 
At March 12, 2023 at 12:49 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Then why won't you email me?

 
At March 12, 2023 at 3:49 PM, Anonymous Bridgette said...

My apologies, I just sent off an email to you. I wasn't ignoring you, I just m8ssed that post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger