Monday, April 27, 2009

They Call Us the Working Wounded


It seems that every time I invest the best parts of myself in someone else's life, especially my loyalty, I get screwed over with no apologies. It happened just over a month ago when 15+ years of selfless devotion to my family was rewarded with eviction and the needless threat of police intervention. Now this.

I just lost my job of six years a couple of hours ago, minutes after making my last post. Early this year, I and everyone else at work to a man had made a verbal pact to walk out on the job if our boss was replaced with his nephew as per his mother's wishes. We stood together in solidarity and risked our livelihoods for a guy who'd sneered and snarled at us for years and years.

My reward? Getting laid off. Snippy and defensive to the end, he sneered that he also had to lay off his wife, which didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was him putting her on the payroll to begin with, which, for all the work she did there, was tantamount to embezzling from the company. Half the time she sat around reading Stephen King or Dean Koontz novels. At least it can be said that I stayed busy doing something.

But if he didn't lay off four of us, as he explained, then perhaps the business wouldn't be around by next week. Maybe this will be a wake up call for him to stop neglecting his business, including paying his overhead expenses, stop using company money to pay for his personal vehicles and to not pocket cash payments from his customers (the reason Mommy wanted to fire him) when it should've gone into the central account.

This is part and parcel to right wingers. Act as if ignoring problems is the best form of conflict resolution, make others pay for your fuckuppery then sneer and snarl at them to sink or swim while remaining in the catbird seat.

This comes at a helluva time. You all know my situation. I have no one looking out for me, no support network or family to help cushion the blow. I have a landlord, two utility comanies and my stomach to worry about and nothing but a parttime job pumping gas to help pick up the slack. After I post this, I will be logging on to the Massachusetts DET's website to open an unemployment claim and hopefully will start getting some pittance of relief. But with the Dept. of Revenue's Child Support Enforcement Division on my back, whatever little I get will be garnished and I may wind up clearing only a $100 a week after child support. And I'll have to come up with taxes by next year on both that and the child support I'll never see.

So I'll have to ask you all who can afford to to please donate whatever you can. I never expected this Paypal account to replace even my shitty weekly income from my late, lamented job because I know my readership isn't that large. But the situation, obviously, has gotten a lot more dire since 7:30 this morning and I may be looking at living off whatever money I have in the bank. I need to come up with $1500 to my landlord in the next 4 1/2 weeks and the bills ain't gonna stop coming in.

11 Comments:

At April 27, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Anonymous doro said...

OK, I'm opening a paypal account. Now. You'll hear from me.

 
At April 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Anonymous doro said...

JP, I know I'm a moron, so don't be mad. I can't find chapter 1 of The Bone Bridge. Can you lead me there?

 
At April 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done and keep a sense of humor. I've lived on the street 4 times in my life and it wasn't fun. I still have a job at this time but come Dec that might change.
jo6pac

 
At April 28, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

It's right here, doro. It may've gotten scrolled off after I posted 4 (they tend to be much longer than my usual post).

And you don't need to open a Paypal account if you're just sending money. All you need is a bank account to send.

 
At April 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Blogger Marquis Fleur said...

JP,

Buy a plane ticket to Thailand.

Living in a town like Chiang Mai, you pay $200 rent monthly for a 3-bedroom house, pay $3 a day for meals, and the temperature never drops below 50 degrees. Health insurance for $250 a year with good international hospitals.

Transportation is cheap - rent a motorbike for $60/month or buy one for $300.

Hardly any wingnuts in the expat community, and the local people are friendly, helpful and non-aggressive.

You could get a job as an English teacher if the revenues from your blogging wasn't enough (minimum one-month TEFL qualification required), but I would suspect that you could get by on your blogging and have all the time in the world to complete your novels.

Overall, you live well on $1000/month and live like a prince on $1500.

If you made the move, I would be more than happy to provide you information on visas, housing, etc. and help you get things set up over here.

Economic and literary freedom await in the Land of Smiles!

 
At April 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

"But with the Dept. of Revenue's Child Support Enforcement Division on my back": Did you have/adopt a child with this woman who tossed you out? If not, why would you be paying child support?

Also, why would you "risk your livelihood" for "a guy who'd sneered and snarled at [you] for years and years"? I just don't get it.

You're expecting fidelity from ingrates, and then you find yourself disappointed when they are ingrates? That's a known quantity, right?

 
At April 28, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Anonymous doro said...

JP thanks. I'll go there.

 
At April 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Anonymous doro said...

You have a new reader JP, go here:
http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/what-is-your-favorite-sci-fi-movie-open-thread/

read the comments. Medhiesco thinks your novel's great! Yay!

 
At April 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Anonymous bjacques said...

Done. Hope this helps you make the nut.

 
At April 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

What's done? Me? Far from it.

 
At April 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Anonymous bjacques said...

??

I meant I put a little something in yer tip jar. I liked your comments on the Group News Blog and have been checking out this place off and on. It's fantastic and I don't want to see it go off the air.

Best,

bjacques

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger