Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Help Needed


Over the last five and a half years, political blogging has proven to be the only constant in my life. Most of the time I don't feel as if the rewards have been worth it. When you care about injustice and unnecessary tragedy inflicted on others as much as I do, it can take a tremendous toll on you. The one thing that's never been explicated at any appreciable length is the psychological and emotional collateral damage that regular political and social blogging inevitably produces.

And despite my occasional snarkiness, there have been times when I've literally cried when looking at pictures or videos of American, Iraqi or Afghani children crying over the caskets of their fathers or other loved ones. I've wept with outrage over the prospect of a friend of mine getting their home repossessed and others dying.

I've taken the side of personal friends and invited the wrath of right wing psychopaths like Hal Turner, who threatened my family and me a little over a year ago. Yet, while it can't be said blogging can't enrich one's life, at how exponentially more efficacious (if not powerful) a single person with a beat-up laptop and an internet connection can be, I see how rewarding blogging can be. And, if nothing else, it offers a personal value through catharsis and learning about our nation's history, the parliamentary process, constitutional law, etc.

And blogging is how I stay engaged and try to effect change by helping people get elected, by imploring others to give where the help is needed, signing petitions and getting others to do so, etc. And, while I have no illusions as to my efficacy as a blogger, I've noted that, over the years, many, many of the injustices of which I'd written had later been reversed. This tells me that I'm usually if not always on the side of the angels.

But this is just part of my life and this is all you see. Just as we tend to imagine our favorite ballplayers always wearing batting helmets and their team's uniform, we tend to judge and imagine those intrepid bloggers by what they read in these narrow columns of glowing phosphors and pixels. Who cares about me taking my cat to the vet or making dinner 6 nights a week or scrubbing out my kitchen sink or tub? Who cares about my finances?

Well, rightfully, no one should. That's usually a personal problem. True, we altruistic liberals and progressives are the antithesis of the despicable Randian philosophy of Objectivism, which essentially is the fine art of saying, "Fuck everyone but me and my own." We tend to pitch in and help those in need. During times when I'm a little more flush than usual, I've given to Truthout, Buzzflash, the Democratic Party, the occasional blog and charities when disaster strikes a poor nation like Haiti.

But this is not one of those flush times for us. In fact, we're going to have a hell of a time paying the rent this Saturday. So far, against all odds, even though it's sometimes taken some tricky financial micromanagement and a little James Bond timing, we've always paid the rent on time without bouncing a check but this month our backs are against the wall.

I know there are many who are worse off than me. I know. I've donated to their Paypal accounts when they were in danger of having to sell their homes to pay for health care or to entire families who already have lost their homes. But is it really selfish for us to insist on not becoming one of those left on the wayside?

On average, Pottersville gets about 500-600 hits a day. If just one of each of my visitors chipped in half a buck, about a third of a price of a cup of coffee, that would result in $250-300 a day. I'm not expecting, nor asking for, nor deserve nearly that much. But I and my own need a little help getting by this month just to pay the rent that got jacked up last summer when my fiancee moved in. Our car died about 9 weeks later and despite being unemployed for a year as of yesterday, there's nothing tangible on the horizon. We'll have to spend what little we get from the IRS later this spring just to pay some pressing debts.

I haven't had to make a public appeal for donations since last summer when my girlfriend hit the road in Florida to make the 1355 mile trip that eventually killed her car. We both need glasses, health insurance and, at 53 and 51 respectively, she and I are getting awfully sick and tired of having to walk three miles round trip just to do our laundry and whatever grocery shopping we can handle because we can't afford a cab.

So whatever you can do will be enormous appreciated by not just me but the both of us. Blogging actually takes up only a small portion of my life. My days are eaten up hoofing it within my very limited striking range job hunting, banking, paying bills, housework, trying to type up from scratch a 450 page novel (I lost the CD's it was on), writing and selling other novels to literary agents and a million other details that make up a human life. But when I have to worry all the time about money, it will understandably have a chilling effect on my desire to write about the things I'd ordinarily write about and that only diminishes the only real relevance and value that I have to most of you.

Not a whole hell of a lot has gone right this past year but I do have some of the most generous and faithful readers a home-made scribe like me can hope for not to mention a great gal here at home. So anything you can do would be appreciated more than even I have the talent to convey.

6 Comments:

At April 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So anything you can do would be appreciated more than even I have the talent to convey."

Darn, you had me reaching for my money-belt up til then.

 
At April 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to donate, but I do not wish to reveal my identity -- either through a paypal account name or any other way. How do I do that?

 
At April 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Anonymous Comrade Rutherford said...

Done. JP is one of the best unpublished writers I've had the privilege of reading.

Due to a lot of recent work, I am proud to have some money I can send along to JP.

Please, folks, help this guy out.

-CR

 
At April 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Blogger Juan Moment said...

JP, I normally would not donate to US Americans, as you noted there are massive numbers of people on this planet of ours with far less income or means than even you, far more desperate than any US citizen ever will be. But in your case I broke my rule, filing it in my mind more as a payment for editorial service than a donation.

I have been reading here more or less regularly for the past how many years, resisting any calls for help so far, but I think its about time I pay for the countless hours of interesting reads you've provided. So please see my contribution as the price I am prepared to pay to keep you on-line and blogging.

Best Wishes JM

 
At May 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done
jo6pac

 
At May 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

I'd like to donate, but I do not wish to reveal my identity -- either through a paypal account name or any other way. How do I do that?

Email me and I'll tell you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger