Thursday, August 11, 2011

To Syndicate or Not to Syndicate?


That is the question I've been asking myself for the last several weeks. About that length of time ago, I've been pursued (ironically through Brilliant at Breakfast, a forum to which I no longer post) by a content acquisition guy. I went to the website and looked at their setup and learned that you have to lock yourself in to a two-year agreement and have only 30 days to opt out.

This was the standard pitch I was given on July 21:
Hello,

I was reading your blogger profile and noticed that you're a co-author of Brilliant at Breakfast, another blog we syndicate. It looks like you have a lot of high-quality political coverage so I just wanted to see if you would be interested in syndicating with us.

Newstex LLC (www.newstex.com) is the leading licensed content syndication company that connects authoritative online publishers like you with top content distributors such as LexisNexis and ProQuest to deliver trustworthy content to audiences of professionals, journalists, business people, educators, and more who need it to do their jobs every day.

Other similar publishers from whom we license content and pay royalties to include the Democratic Daily, AMERICAblog and Pam's House Blend.

You can start earning exposure, credibility and money when you complete the non-exclusive agreement and provide your full text RSS feed to Newstex. We syndicate online magazine, blog, Twitter, and video content. Here’s how it works:

1. What happens to my content?
Your content (including all embedded links and a link back to your site) is delivered alongside other respected content through distributors like LexisNexis, Cengage Gale, ProQuest, Amazon Kindle, and WestLaw to audiences who need it to do their jobs. Your content is distributed through closed systems like corporate and university libraries, government agencies, law and financial firms, media organizations, and more. That means it doesn’t compete with your online content. Instead, it’s delivered to an audience who is unlikely to find it otherwise.

2. Who sees my content?
Audiences use your content to research competitors, gather information for legal cases, obtain leads for media stories, gauge consumer reactions to product launches or marketing initiatives, track corporate or brand reputations, and much more.

3. What do I get?
You get offline exposure to key professional audiences and you earn royalties each time your content is viewed. How much you can earn in exposure is limitless, and how much you can earn in royalties depends on the amount of content you produce as well as how closely that content matches the information end-user audiences need to do their jobs.

Remember, since the agreement is non-exclusive, you can pursue any other opportunities to grow your audience, credibility, and earnings while you are a Newstex Authoritative Content publisher.

Bottom line, it could, theoretically, result in a wider readership, reaching venues and databases presently inaccessible to me and put some coin in my pocket. But I've been ambivalent regarding syndication for several very good reasons.

I cannot imagine users of LexisNexis, for instance, going to me for actual news and walking away satisfied. Obviously, I'm not a news source nor have I ever pretended to be. Like two million other birds in the blogosphere, I'm just another voice in the wilderness briefly shrieking in the dead of night about one injustice or another.

Not a problem, Content Acquisitions Guy said, we syndicate a lot of blogs like yours. Some people go to these databases looking for commentary and not merely news.

OK, another problem, I told him today:

I'm a liberal, literary one man al Qaeda cell and I have not only pissed off misguided and unwary conservatives surfing in looking for actual great conservative books but also my own base. My first post about Pam Geller and references to certain parts of her genitalia, a walk in the park for guys like the Rude Pundit, alienated the webmaster of Casa la Brilliant. OK, fine. I'm still my own person, this is still my little fiefdom and for now I'm self-contained and not communicable. If you don't like the content, then stop reading. It's that simple.

But that dovetails into another problem: I've already been kicked out of several group blogs, been banned by over half a dozen others (including my second go-round at Orchid Boy's AmericaBlog, three bannings from Democratic Underground, Media Matters for reasons that remain mysterious to me and Democrats.org. There are others, many others.).

I told Content Acquisitions Guy that I'd just wrapped up a little flame war with Pam Geller and told him to read my last post about Mitt Romney. "OK, that was extreme," he said, "but I think I can still sell you on my editor. Besides, we syndicate Atlas Shrugged, too."

That's when I told him, Dude, you think that's extreme? Then I proceeded to tell him about some of the places that have made me persona non grata and that I am absolutely not averse to starting or finishing the occasional flame war. Bottom line, I said I was like the Rude Pundit with Tourette's and selling me on his editor could actually turn out to be a bad career move.

So, should I import myself to the masses? Because I'd sure hate to get decent folks in trouble. He said he'd cut the lock-in time to a year for me but that's still a lot of time to piss a lot of people off.

12 Comments:

At August 12, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Blogger Stan B. said...

Yes.

 
At August 12, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Anonymous 1 of yr readrs said...

You ARE a lot angrier than Rudey. He uses more cure words than you do, but I can sense the mischievous twinkle in his beady little eyes behind them. You're just mad -- not that fury isn't merited -- and that can be off-putting. To lily-livered pussies, that is. Of which there are apparently many, to read the whiny comments I've seen from people on liberal blogs when a liberal attacks Preznit Hopey for being a traitorous, sellout Repiglickin' in disguise.

As for getting syndicated, I have no advice on that. I just found it interesting that the sidebar of blogs that I see listed on several that I read will generate a few micro-cents for the bloggers if I click on it. I'll have to do that more often on that feature.

 
At August 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Blogger jo6pac said...

I'm confused about when did you care about pissing people of that deserve it any way. Hell they shorten the time and if you can earn dollar or two per month what the Hell.

 
At August 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Anonymous Dee in NJ said...

I already told you what I thought when we chatted. I think you should do it. What's the worst thing that could happen? They decide to terminate the contract early because you've annoyed some people? So what. Besides, if they terminate contracts because people get annoyed by a blogger, they'd have no contracts. My guess is, they're a lot gutsier than you might think.

 
At August 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

The problem is, after reading the "fine print" I saw they have an antidefamation and libel clause that exonerates them from liability if I get sued for whatever reason.

I usually don't libel people since I do my research but what constitutes libel and defamation can be frighteningly expanded in a court of law so I backed out. At least for now, I'm self-contained and non-communicable.

Btw, have I got a surprise for you, Dee. You're going to want to have my baby after this.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Anonymous Dee in NJ said...

What, what, what??? And dude, I'm a few years past child bearing age and way past wanting to carry another child, unless you've become suddenly obscenely wealthy, in which case, when do you want to schedule the IVF???

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

IVF? That takes all the fun out of life.

OK, one hint: Remember what you wished I'd bring back?

There you go.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Anonymous Dee in NJ said...

Cool beans!! Some new assclowns! Yeah!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

And, oh boy, is it gonna be a humdinger.

It should be up before you leave work today.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Anonymous Dee in NJ said...

Well, I'm leaving at 3 because I have an appointment, but I can always review at home. Yippee!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

It may be up before that. I'm down to the last two slots and still have to finish the segment on Mittens. In other words, I'm over 75% done.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Anonymous Dee in NJ said...

Okay kiddies, gather round, the famous assclowns are back in town! Nonny-nonny-boo-boo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger