Saturday, July 23, 2022

Life, and Death, is What Gets In the Way When You're Making Other Plans

      So, there I was last Thursday night, having just watched the eighth and latest January 6th hearing. I picked out a short but pithy title, and had even chosen a lead image to use for Friday's post. 

      The chest pains had already set in but I'd had gas pains that were far worse than that. I drank some seltzer water hoping I'd bring up a belch, get rid of some unwanted gas and everything would be all right with the world.

     But this was different and deep down I knew it. The next day, yesterday, even with the AC on, I couldn't stop sweating. The chest pains got worse. I collapsed in the bathroom because my blood pressure bottomed out. I just knew if I didn't call 911, I wouldn't get to write any more blog posts. And it's a good thing I had.

     I had a coronary occlusion, what qualifies as a massive heart attack. One of the arteries feeding my heart with blood was completely or almost completely blocked, damaging the cardiac tissue on that side. Bottom line, a few hours after that 911 call, I had a stent put in, the occlusion was removed and, against the strenuous advice of the staff of the hospital, I checked myself out less than 24 hours later.

     Was it a stupid thing to do? Well, perhaps yes, from a medical standpoint. But I listened to the staff, they read me the numbers from my vitals and I thought this calculated risk was one worth taking. Yes, I wanted my life back, with improvements. But there was another reason adding urgency to my decision to check myself out.

     You see, the local hospital doesn't have a cath lab and several other things you'd expect from hospitals. The cath lab is where they worm the stents through your artery to widen it up and remove the blockage. So they had to send me to a hospital in Worcester. The problem with that was both cath labs in that place were currently being used so they had to send me to another hospital in the city of Worcester.

     When the EMTs were working on me, I asked them if Mrs. JP could come with me and explained the situation to them. They told me in no uncertain terms that was a no-go. All throughout the stabilization process, she didn't have any idea what was happening. And when I told her I'd had a massive heart attack when I came by to discharge her, it came as a genuine surprise to her, even though both my sons were with her much of the day.

     For nearly 13 years to the day, I've been Mrs. JP's person and she's been mine. And, as skilled as I trust they are in all matters medical, I knew that even the staff at the ER to which she'd been sent because she's no longer capable of caring for herself would be a poor substitute for the only person who's been her person, the only person in the world who knows her inside and out and knows what she needs.

     So I checked myself out, took a Lyft to the hospital and got her out. I'm not expecting a pat on the back because, yeah, I personally wanted out of that hospital. Yes, I made an emotional decision to discharge myself. But part of that emotional toolbox was getting Mrs. JP out of that situation in which she was parked in a chair in the ER's hallway and wondering where everyone went.

     When you make a promise to care for someone, as I had to her in 2009, you don't forget about them or toss them to the wayside when they lose a step or two. Yeah, maybe I should've taken that extra day for myself. But that extra day would've been a day of specialized care that only I could give her that she didn't get. So, however much time I have left in this world I will devote to her.

     Because a promise is a promise.

7 Comments:

At July 24, 2022 at 9:36 AM, Anonymous Dave Chadwick said...

I heard you had a heart attack and am very relieved to see that you’re out of the hospital. Be well, my friend. Believe it or not, we absolutely want you to stick around.

 
At July 24, 2022 at 5:23 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

It's going to involve some serious lifestyle changes, Dave. Like quitting smoking, getting my cholesterol level down, etc. It's a process but it will be done. Thanks for passing along your and Danny's kind thoughts.

 
At July 27, 2022 at 5:54 PM, Anonymous Tim Scott said...

How much did the hospital and ambulance charge?

 
At July 27, 2022 at 6:07 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

I don't know because I never see bills. That's because I have a very good, comprehensive health insurance plan.

 
At July 31, 2022 at 4:12 AM, Blogger Stan B. said...

Tad late to the party, glad you're still hanging in with a vow to take better care... I got my first ambulance ride on the 18th for something not half as serious- suspension on them things not quite what I imagined!

Good luck in your 2nd act!

 
At July 31, 2022 at 4:51 PM, Blogger jurassicpork said...

Jesus, Stan, what happened to you?

 
At August 1, 2022 at 12:26 AM, Blogger Stan B. said...

Major freakin' embarrassment is what happened. Had a major allergic reaction to a certain kind of... Penicillin (of all things) that ended me up in the ER! You can read the (not so) sordid details on the blog (7/22)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger