Saturday, May 16, 2020

Interview with Diane Rondeau Bator



Someone forgot to tell Walter Levy samurai don’t commit seppuku with a sword. They normally carried a much smaller knife to kill themselves with. He lay still on the mats while a long, gently curved blade stood straight out of his chest. He was dead and there was no earthly way it was by his own hand since the katana blade was longer than his arms. At best, he could have stabbed his lower belly, not his chest. And the murderer could still be inside the school.” -Dead Without Honor, Diane Rondeau Bator

            Thus, Gilda Wright begins her detective career in May’s author of the Month Diane Bator’s Dead Without Honor.

15) Diane, you’re one of those authors who (like me) keep a lot of plates spinning. You write the Wild Blue Mysteries, Gilda Wright Mysteries, Glitter Bay Mysteries, and the upcoming Audra Clemmings Mysteries. When’s the first Audra Clemmings book coming out and what can you tell us about her?

Drop Dead Cowboy was supposed to be released in September 2020. Seeing as how I was working from home since mid-March, I got my editing done and submitted it early. Both the editor and the cover artist had time on their hands so we got it all together and it’s currently up for pre-order! Launch date is June 1st.

14) I notice that you exclusively write cozies. Have you ever gotten the urge to write something grittier and more hardboiled or do cozies do it all for you?

Indeed! I have two book ideas on the shelf, which means either partly written or in need of a good edit, that are grittier than my usual. I will get back to them. In the meantime, I have a few series to finish. The one that needs a final edit has been calling to me during the pandemic and I may pull it out again soon.

13) Tell us about what you did for work before you got bitten by the novel-writing bug and how much did those jobs inform you in your books?

I’ve been writing since I was a kid, but life got in the way and soon I’d tucked it all aside. Over the past several years I’ve worked in a clothing store, a grocery store, been a receptionist at a karate school, a bank teller, worked for a fast food chain, at a live-stage theatre, volunteered in schools, installed closets, sold calendars in a pop up shop, and babysat friends’ kids.
As with any experiences we’ve had in life, they have all colored my characters and the things I’ve written. Gilda Wright, for example, is a karate school receptionist, which is what I used to do. My experience in clothing stores helps with my Glitter Bay series, I’ve currently started on Book 2. Moving to a small town and getting to know my way around was a great help in writing my Wild Blue Mysteries. I was like Katie Mullins who moves to a small town and has secrets. Although my life before moving to town wasn’t nearly as exciting as hers.

12) There’s a thriving and very active mystery writing community in your native Canada. I’ve also noted that you frequently do Open Mic nights through the Headwaters Writer’s Guild. Are they attended by some of your colleagues and what type of feedback have you gotten?
Our Open Mic nights usually get a great turnout from all over the region. This year we had to cancel due to Covid, but in years past we’d have a full house at our library, including people on the balcony that overlooks the presentation area. We’ve also drawn authors and poets from an hour away.
Since we have a few published authors in our group, we all try to support each other.
I also belong to Crime Writers of Canada and have started to do a few events with them which introduces me to a whole new group of mystery writers and some great new friends and ideas.

11) What are the similarities and differences between your three established protagonists Gilda Wright, Leo Blue and Laken Miller and is there a temptation to do a crossover novel featuring two or all of them?

Gilda, Leo and Laken have all faced huge challenges in their lives and moved on to new things.
For Gilda, it was the break-up of a serious relationship that left her shaken and in need of regaining her strength and balance.
Leo Blue was a nomad until he started working in Packham. His past had him build an outer shell to protect himself from any sort of relationships, yet he starts to become attached to people there.
Laken Miller, a former supermodel, not only had to deal with cancer but her husband’s infidelity. While they have similarities, they are very different people.
I’ve never thought about a crossover novel. Mostly because they are all in separate series with separate locations and I’m not so sure that’s something my publisher would go for. Maybe as a self-published book way down the road. It’s an interesting idea.

10) When you were growing up, who were your favorite mystery authors and which ones do you think influenced you the most?

I was an avid reader. I started with the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and read anything I could get my hands on. Jackie Collins, Sidney Sheldon and Stephen King were my biggest influences. Quite a mix of romance, mystery and horror.
The most vivid memory of a book I have was getting to the end of a Sidney Sheldon novel and discovering someone had torn out the last three pages. I was devastated!

9) Describe your typical writing day. Do you use a laptop or notebook exclusively, both and do you set a daily word goal? If so, what is it?

I don’t really have a typical writing day. Not yet. I still work full time when not in self-isolation. I tend to write when I have time and energy.
My ideal writing day is getting up and making coffee then sitting in my new office or outside in the sunshine and writing for an hour. I love to write by hand to do first drafts. Most of the time my ideas will come from a conversation, at writing group, or someplace where I’m nowhere near my laptop. I’m the queen of sticky notes and bits of paper with odd ideas and conversations.

8) Has being sheltered in place during this pandemic resulted in more or less prolificity?

I’ve struggled with writing new pieces for the past couple of months. I think what helped most was my youngest moving out in the middle of all of this crazy. I repainted his room and moved my office into it. It’s bright and cheery and has a view of the backyard. When I open the window, all I hear are birds. The change of scenery and location was exactly what I needed. The other day I wrote pages and pages. Then I had to get more coffee…

7) What do you think are the differences between Canadian mystery fiction and its American analog or are there any?

Ironically, I used to have an American agent and an American publisher. It was my agent who got me in with my Canadian publisher. I find most Canadian publishers take less cozy mysteries and more serious, hardcore stuff. That said, there are many more publishers of all sorts in the US.

6) For you, what’s the most difficult part of writing a mystery and which is the easiest?

The most difficult part of writing a mystery is going back to weave clues through the entire novel. The easiest is coming up with a main character who has a few flaws but a good reason to figure out whodunnit. Sometimes I end up with a character and a body but no idea how they’re connected.

5) Has coronavirus given you plot ideas or are you going to leave that to other writers?

So far, I’ve avoided writing about the virus aside from a couple blog posts. I think it will be easier for some of us to write about once it’s not such a threat. There will definitely be a surge of books that relate to it down the road. I may come up with one or two as well.

4) You seem to have a long and satisfying partnership with Books We Love, your publisher. But if a Big Five publisher came knocking with a contract in hand, would you at least listen?

I love working with BWL. That said, they are always happy if their writers get Big Five contracts and would not stand in their way. I’ve asked! Just in case. I do have a current book I’m editing and preparing to send to a Big Five. It’s a whole new series set on the shores of Lake Huron.

3) Plotter or pantser?

Pantser! I’ve tried to plot. Sometimes, I make a brief outline just to remember which clue goes where or when things have to happen in the timeline. For the most part, I just wing it and do the clean up during edits. I like the freedom of letting my ideas flow and not being restricted by a tight outline.

2) Besides the obvious, what to you are the essential elements of writing a good mystery?

A main character people will like, a plausible death and a good reason for the protagonist to want to solve the crime. Surprises along the way are fun but a completely new suspect in the last handful of pages of the novel are a cop out. Readers are along for the ride so they can help solve the mystery and don’t want the writer to insult their intelligence.

1) So what’s next for Diane Bator?

Since I’ve been rearranging my surroundings during shelter in place, I’ve started to work on Book 2 of my Glitter Bay series. This one is in the point of view of Sage, Laken Miller’s sister who owns Vintage Sage, a local vintage boutique.
My other ongoing project is a fantasy novel I’m writing with a friend who wants to leave his mark on the world. I’m not a big fantasy reader, but he is. I just do the writing, he gives me the notes as to what should happen. It’s an interesting challenge!
Fun questions!
Thank you for allowing me to be your Author of the Month!

If you’re interested in learning more about Diane and her work, here are some handy links:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

KindleindaWind, my writing blog.

All Time Classics

  • Our Worse Half: The 25 Most Embarrassing States.
  • The Missing Security Tapes From the World Trade Center.
  • It's a Blunderful Life.
  • The Civil War II
  • Sweet Jesus, I Hate America
  • Top Ten Conservative Books
  • I Am Mr. Ed
  • Glenn Beck: Racist, Hate Monger, Comedian
  • The Ten Worst Music Videos of all Time
  • Assclowns of the Week

  • Links to the first 33 Assclowns of the Week.
  • Links to Assclowns of the Week 38-63.
  • #106: The Turkey Has Landed edition
  • #105: Blame it on Paris or Putin edition
  • #104: Make Racism Great Again Also Labor Day edition
  • #103: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Toilet edition
  • #102: Orange is the New Fat edition
  • #101: Electoral College Dropouts edition
  • #100: Centennial of Silliness edition
  • #99: Dr. Strangehate edition
  • #98: Get Bentghazi edition
  • #97: SNAPping Your Fingers at the Poor edition
  • #96: Treat or Treat, Kiss My Ass edition
  • #95: Monumental Stupidity double-sized edition
  • #94: House of 'Tards edition
  • #93: You Da Bomb! edition.
  • #92: Akin to a Fool edition.
  • #91: Aurora Moronealis edition.
  • #90: Keep Your Gubmint Hands Off My High Pre'mums and Deductibles! edition.
  • #89: Occupy the Catbird Seat/Thanksgiving edition.
  • #88: Heil Hitler edition.
  • #87: Let Sleeping Elephants Lie edition.
  • #86: the Maniacs edition.
  • #85: The Top 50 Assclowns of 2010 edition.
  • #(19)84: Midterm Madness edition.
  • #83: Spill, Baby, Spill! edition.
  • #82: Leave Corporations Alone, They’re People! edition.
  • #81: Hatin' on Haiti edition.
  • #80: Don't Get Your Panties in a Twist edition.
  • #79: Top 50 Assclowns of 2009 edition.
  • #78: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism edition.
  • #77: ...And Justice For Once edition.
  • #76: Reading Tea Leaves/Labor Day edition.
  • #75: Diamond Jubilee/Inaugural Edition
  • #74: Dropping the Crystal Ball Edition
  • #73: The Twelve Assclowns of Christmas Edition
  • #72: Trick or Treat Election Day Edition
  • #71: Grand Theft Autocrats Edition
  • #70: Soulless Corporations and the Politicians Who Love Them Edition
  • Empire Of The Senseless.
  • Christwire.org: Conservative Values for an Unsaved World.
  • Esquire's Charles Pierce.
  • Brilliant @ Breakfast.
  • The Burning Platform.
  • The Rant.
  • Mock, Paper, Scissors.
  • James Petras.
  • Towle Road.
  • Avedon's Sideshow (the new site).
  • At Largely, Larisa Alexandrovna's place.
  • The Daily Howler.
  • The DCist.
  • Greg Palast.
  • Jon Swift. RIP, Al.
  • God is For Suckers.
  • The Rude Pundit.
  • Driftglass.
  • Newshounds.
  • William Grigg, a great find.
  • Brad Blog.
  • Down With Tyranny!, Howie Klein's blog.
  • Wayne's World. Party time! Excellent!
  • Busted Knuckles, aka Ornery Bastard.
  • Mills River Progressive.
  • Right Wing Watch.
  • Earthbond Misfit.
  • Anosognosia.
  • Echidne of the Snakes.
  • They Gave Us a Republic.
  • The Gawker.
  • Outtake Online, Emmy-winner Charlotte Robinson's site.
  • Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo
  • No More Mr. Nice Blog.
  • Head On Radio Network, Bob Kincaid.
  • Spocko's Brain.
  • Pandagon.
  • Slackivist.
  • WTF Is It Now?
  • No Blood For Hubris.
  • Lydia Cornell, a very smart and accomplished lady.
  • Roger Ailes (the good one.)
  • BlondeSense.
  • The Smirking Chimp.
  • Hammer of the Blogs.
  • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.
  • Argville.
  • Existentialist Cowboy.
  • The Progressive.
  • The Nation.
  • Mother Jones.
  • Vanity Fair.
  • Salon.com.
  • Citizens For Legitimate Government.
  • News Finder.
  • Indy Media Center.
  • Lexis News.
  • Military Religious Freedom.
  • McClatchy Newspapers.
  • The New Yorker.
  • Bloggingheads TV, political vlogging.
  • Find Articles.com, the next-best thing to Nexis.
  • Altweeklies, for the news you won't get just anywhere.
  • The Smirking Chimp
  • Don Emmerich's Peace Blog
  • Wikileaks.
  • The Peoples' Voice.
  • Dictionary.com.
  • CIA World Fact Book.
  • IP address locator.
  • Tom Tomorrow's hilarious strip.
  • Babelfish, an instant, online translator. I love to translate Ann Coulter's site into German.
  • Newsmeat: Find out who's donating to whom.
  • Wikipedia.
  • Uncyclopedia.
  • anysoldier.com
  • Icasualties
  • Free Press
  • YouTube
  • The Bone Bridge.
  • Powered by Blogger